7 Ways To NOT Win A Poetry Contest
I thought I’d add some provisos to my earlier piece.
1. Disregard the rules
2. Go over the line or word limit–after all, it is your favorite poem!
3. Heck, send whatever you want–a novel chapter, a non-rhyming poem to a rhymed contest, a cycle of poems when you only paid for one. How uptight can these judges be?
4. Use teeny tiny type (maybe no one will notice it is over the line limit) or gigantic cursive or handwriting or attach a photo of your puppy.
5. Submit something pornographic
6. Or a wild-eyed religious rant or
7. Spew hate
These rules might seem obvious–if so, congratulations–you are ahead of the game!
I think I just experienced all of these in our recent chapbook contest…I think I’ll preface our contest with your guidelines next year!
You are more than welcome to it!